My Two Cents: Memorable characters, beautiful writing, amazing book. Here's the bottom line: This is probably my favorite middle grade book. Yes, #1 favorite of all time. All I have to do is see that bag-face cover and I want to laugh and cry and read the whole thing again.
Grade Level: 4-8
- Visit Gary D. Schmidt's website.
- View more images of Audubon's Birds of America from the National Gallery of Art.
- One of Doug's talents is memorizing baseball trivia. Test your own baseball trivia knowledge, learn new facts, and solve baseball sudoku and crossword puzzles here.
- Learn how to play horseshoes like Doug does.
- Doug's brother Lucas comes back from Vietnam. Find photos, video, and facts about what Vietnam is like today at the National Geographic Kids website.
- The novel Jane Eyre is important in this book. Read a quick summary of Jane Eyre for kids here.
- Doug isn't a big fan of poetry in general and Shelley in particular, but he seems to like birds. Do you think he'd like this poem Shelley wrote about a bird?
More to Read:
- A companion novel to Okay for Now: Schmidt's The Wednesday Wars (Or maybe read this one first and see how your perception of Doug changes...)
- Another novel that features John James Audubon (this time as a character): A Nest for Celeste by Henry Cole
- Another book about a young boy in about the same era (with a very similar cover): Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos