My Two Cents: I remember being delightfully scared when my teacher read this to the class in elementary school, and I had much the same reaction as an adult. (Okay, not quite as scared, but definitely delighted.) Like all of Dahl's books, this one is funny and a little naughty and unbelievably imaginative.
Grade Level: 2-6
- Visit Roald Dahl's official website. You might be surprised how many books he wrote!
- Try one of these fun witch crafts (not to be confused with "Try witchcraft!")
- Some of this story takes place in Norway--learn more about this cool country from National Geographic Kids. Does it seem like a good place for witches to you?
- There are some...unusual mice in this book. Learn more about regular mice in this animal encyclopedia.
- Check out this trailer for the movie based on this book.
- All of Roald Dahl's fabulous stories (but I think my favorite is Matilda)
- Another very spooky tale for October whose title says it all: A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
- Another book about a boy who gets mixed up with spooky, magical creatures: Elliot and the Goblin War by Jennifer Nielsen
- A fun chapter book series about a younger, slightly nicer witch: Heidi Heckelbeck by Wanda Coven